Surfers Against Sewage (SAS) is proud to announce the 5th annual Barefoot Wine Beach Rescue Project, kicking off in Bournemouth Hengistbury Head on Saturday, April 14th. Building on the huge success of 2011’s incredible series of events, the SAS Barefoot Wine Beach Rescue Project will run throughout the spring and summer with environmentalist and adventurer Ben Fogle as ambassador. Ben will also be personally hosting several of these coastal events alongside Surfers Against Sewage.
Ben Fogle said: “I’m a huge lover of Britain’s coastline so when I was asked to be the ambassador for the Barefoot Wine Beach Rescue Project I jumped at the chance. We have such beautiful beaches here in the UK and during this campaign with Barefoot Wine and Surfers Against Sewage, I’ll be asking as many people as possible to come down to one of our events and keep their local beach ‘barefoot friendly’.”
The 2011 Barefoot Wine Beach Rescue Project saw over 1100 volunteers remove 2.5 tonnes of litter from the UK’s coastline, and 2012’s series of events aims to encourage more people to keep the UK’s beaches barefoot friendly. To register for an event please contact Dom Ferris on email@example.com. Volunteers will learn more about SAS’s year round environmental projects and spend an afternoon collecting litter along their local beach, and end the day with a celebratory glass of Barefoot Wine.
SAS Campaign Officer, Dom Ferris says: “Here at SAS we witness the impact that marine litter is having on our beaches every day. The Barefoot Wine Beach Rescue Project will give the UK’s coastal communities another opportunity to make a real and noticeable difference to the health of our precious coastline.”
Britain has the thirteenth longest coastline in the world and our beaches provide a fantastic day out for everyone but currently there are almost 2,000 items of marine litter for every km of the UK’s beaches. One of the most found items of litter is cigarette butts with approximately 4.5 Trillion cigarette butts are littered across the world each year. Laid down end-to-end they would reach around Great Britain’s coastline over 4000 times.
“Barefoot Wine is very proud to be working with Surfers Against Sewage for the fifth year in a row to help keep Britain’s beaches ‘barefoot friendly’”, said Barefoot Wine Marketing Manager, Yona Ellis. “Ben Fogle will be a great inspiration to people in 2012, which is set to be our biggest and most exciting year so far. All our Barefooters are really looking forward to helping out at the clean ups and then thanking our volunteers with a well deserved glass of Barefoot Wine!”
- Sat April 14th / Bournemouth / 2 – 5pm / (Meet for briefing at 2pm) / Hengistbury Head – At the end of the path from the main car park – BH6 4EN
- Sun April 15th / Birmingham / 2 – 5pm / (Meet for briefing at 2pm) / Sea life centre – Brindley Place – On Canal – B1 2JB
- Friday May 4th / Falmouth / 2 – 5pm / (Meet for briefing at 2pm) / Swanpool and Gyllyngvase – Next to Swanpool Beach Café – TR11 5BG
- Sat May 5th / Cornwall / 2 – 5pm / (Meet for briefing at 2pm) / Pothtowan – In front of the Blue Bar – TR4 8AW
- Sun May 6th / Bristol / 2 – 5pm / (Meet for briefing at 2pm) / Portishead – In front of the swimming pool – BS20 7HD
- Mon May 7th / Cardiff / 2 – 5pm / (Meet for briefing at 2pm) / Rest Bay – At the bottom of the slipway – CF36 3UP
- Sat May 12th / Cornwall / 2 – 5pm / (Meet for briefing at 2pm) / Perranporth – In front of the main car park -TR6 0BH
- Sun May 13th / North Devon / 2 – 5pm / (Meet for briefing at 2pm) / Saunton – At the bottom of the slipway – EX33 1LQ
- Sat June 23rd / Edinburgh / 2 – 5pm / (Meet for briefing at 2pm) / Dunbar – East Beach – In front of Woodbrush road -EH42 1GT
- Sun June 24th / Fife / 2 – 5pm / (Meet for briefing at 2pm) / Elie Ruby Bay – Elie – Leven – On the main beach – KY9 1BW
- Sat July 7th / Brighton / 2 – 5pm / (Meet for briefing at 2pm) / Hove Lawns – Paddle Round The Pier Village – BN3 2FR
- Sun July 8th / London / 2 – 5pm / (Meet for briefing at 2pm) / Barnes – Upstream of the Railway Bridge – Lonsdale Road – Slipway opposite Nasser Road – SW13 9QB
- Sat Aug 4th / Tynemouth / 2 – 5pm / (Meet for briefing at 2pm) / Longsands – In front of the Grand Hotel – NE30 4JS
- Sun Aug 5th / Liverpool / 2 – 5pm (Meet for briefing at 2pm) / Ainsdale – Shore Road – In Front of the beach car park – PR8 2PZ